Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Youth in Revolt

Youth in Revolt

I am old.  I am too old to really appreciate this I guess; but if this is the case, why did I appreciate "Super Bad" which also starred Michael Cera?  "Super Bad" had a great script, good acting, and was just off the wall funny to me.  Here though, the script got a bit old and though I did not see "Juno" which also starred Michael Cera, from what I heard of "Juno" (and why I did not see it) is what killed this film for me: the script was too far above the age of the characters, too quirky and whatever else to be believable.  It got old quickly.   Another reason I liked "Super Bad" was due to Cera's character.  I liked that underdog, intelligent, and observing character who provided poignant social commentary.  As much as I liked that character, I didn't need to see it again in this movie.  Cera's character is like the same side dish that is just added to a different main course "plot" meat.  The meat may change, but "oh look, here comes that same side again."

In a nutshell, here is the plot: Single A Geeky dude wants to have sex with Triple A girl.  The whole movie is full of his "getting close only to get farther away" scenarios.  Using an old standard in this type of film is the ubiquitous, "everyone around him who is just as geeky or even more geeky is getting lucky."  Yawn.

The directing and cinematography are fine.  The acting is pulled off very well by Cera and Portia Doubleday (Sheeni) but the writing is too way out there for what you would expect from 16-17 year olds.  A few cameo's are spread in by Ray Liotta, Steve Buscemi, and Justin Long (I am a Mac) who plays Sheeni's druggie brother.   It was 90 minutes that left me neither improved or worse off, but it is 90 minutes I will never get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment