Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pirate Radio

Pirate Radio

Uhhh, man, it was just on the cusp of being turned back into the red envelope prematurely.  This movie took me about 4 nights to finish and I finished it just to be able to write up the piece I am now dancing my fingers on the keyboard to complete.  Oridinarliy a 115 minute (average movie length) movie can be done in 2-3 nights.  In fact, using the nights to finish may be the easiest gauge.  This was a 4 night movie.  During the day, I was not really sure where I was in this film and was not really looking too forward to re-engaging and finishing it. 

What kept it going was the acting: good, very good!  Philip Seymour Hoffman is great in anything he does.  I remember first seeing him in "Scent of a Woman" and in his supporting role, he did really well, so it is cool that his talent has been rewarded day in and out and he never disappoints.  I am also totally envious of the role he had in 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead," and admire his doing his own stunts across from Marisa Tomei-more power to you bro, if there is a sequel, let me be your stunt double!!!  Kenneth Branagh also lends some awesome acting chops.  Bill Nighy, who plays Quentin (the big cheese on the Pirate Radio ship) is good too.  He always seems to land the roles as the "proper, honorable rule abiding" patriarch who is always leader of the crowd that is on the wrong side of the law: this movie and "Underworld."  Funny stuff was that I kept swearing to myself that Nick Frost (Dr. Dave) was really John Favreau with makeup and an accent...I was wrong.  Lastly, is Rhys Ifans who plays Gavin; seriously, this dude is a British Tom Petty.

Okay, so the acting, cinematography, and directing are good, but the plot and all that it is and over glamourification and demonization pretty much leave me thinking I finished too many Long Island Ice Teas the night before:  they were okay in the tasty sense, I felt no real pain, but when I woke the next day, I felt like cold poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment