Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

PaLease!  I forgot this was an Oliver Stone directed dealio and got hammered with yet another "Wall Street is bad, green energy is good but it won't have a chance because greed and not overall good will triumph, and all capitalists are bad," movie.  Geez.  I am somewhat tired of these things.  Someone please get me a movie that shows capitalism and business in a good light.

Okay, beyond the political undertones and all, this was an okay movie.  I love those red envelope suppliers for I did not spend the $40 to go see this in a theater.  It took several nights to finish because there was nothing really drawing me to watch a little more or to stop watching what I was watching:  remember, it was 'Money Never Sleeps' and not 'Ron Never Sleeps.' In each session, sleep won over watching further easily.

Michael Douglas gets out of jail and goes to back to what made him millions in the first movie; trading.  In the process, he screws over the relationship his daughter has with her boyfriend (Shia LaBeouf) but then a microbe of decency in his heart helps get them back together.  This little dance completes the boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back routine.

Script is fine, acting by Shia is great and supported well by the acting of others, directing is okay, and the cinematography is fine.  Josh Brolin did seem a bit miscast, but the real question is where did he come from?  "No Country for Old Men" is the first A class big screen I remember seeing him in, but wow, he seems to be all over now.

In any case, I would use time on another movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment