Saturday, July 9, 2011

Devil

Devil

Wow!  This is my type of horror film.  It calls back to the Hitchcock style in which you are given just enough to then let your mind run wild and no knows better than you what scares you.  You never see the actual killing or maiming stuff, instead, you just see about 1 second of the aftermath.  Knarly.  I have never been into the gore for gore's sake and so I was not bummed or disappointed with this. 

Had I investigated this film more, regarding writing and directing, I would have passed on it becuase of the story having been conjured up by M. Night Shyamalan: The Sixth Sense was great, but man, stuff has not been so good from him.  Stepping way back from previous roles he has had in films to the point of just writing the play and then letting others move the ball over the goal line worked, and it may be the beginning of his return to 1st string QB.

5 strangers get stuck in an elevator and we soon discover they all have dark poop in their pasts.  Nice; perfect stew for the Devil to cruise in and then kill them one at a time with the intention of speeding up the time it takes to get their souls down below... he is an impatient Devil this guy!  Spooky, erie, and good!  Acting is good by, uh, I don't know and, uh, I don't know, and, oh yeah, another person I don't know.  Nice.  The minor leagues are about to send some talen to the bigs!

Script, cinematography, directing, and acting are all good.  Good film...yeah, a good horror film with so much more on the suspense and not the gore.

No comments:

Post a Comment