Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dinner for Schmucks

Dinner for Schmucks

This one was a tough one.  I was not really into it as I recognized 2 classic overplayed story lines (I guess admirable was combining 2 into a single movie):

1.  Out of mainstream, somewhat off dude has the clarity of vision to do the right thing and get those around him to see that he may not really be an idiot but a savant.

2.  Boy has girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back.

Well gee Uncle Ron, what was tough about that. 

Well Johnny, here is what was tough.  I wanted to put my mirrored disc back in its envelope and send it home as soon as I smelled above points 1 and 2.  However, Steve Carell was good in his role and Paul Rudd did a good job of being the straight man.  That was all that kept me into it.  What was nasty tough to deal with as well were the standard/cliche bashes on both succesful businessmen and the rich.

Case 1: Bruce Greenwood's Character: The men who build great companies and fortunes are really cruel abusive men who feed on the rest of us.

Case 2: David Walliams' Character: The rich, if they didn't earn their money exploiting the less fortunate or those they swindled, they inherited it and are incredibly shallow.

I am tired of that. 

The directing was fine, the script was okay, the acting was good, and the cinematography was fine.  However, there is quite a bit to see out there and this is something that, though not horrid, could be passed up many times for a better movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment