Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Goon

Goon

SEE THIS!  It is Rocky (1976), Slap Shot (1997)-Hanson Brothers' action on steroids, and My Bodyguard (1980) all rolled into one.  With so many little red envelope treats showing up in my house, I forget what I have ordered and have gotten into the practice of bailing on the description the DVD's envelope has and just popping the disc in the player and watching.  Goon, what the heck is this about and within 10 minutes of watching the film, I got it. 

Hesitation ensued when Seann William Scott (Stifler fame from the American Pie series) first popped up on screen, I was bummed.  In the American Pie films, he has been good, but all the stuff I have seen him in since then has been lacking.  He pulled it off here!!  Whew.  Scott is hired as a goon/enforcer for a farm team and for the most part, we follow him as he Gumps his way through the film...funny, funny.  Liev Schreiber is here as well. He has become one of my favorite actors and he rocks here!  He is the hockey league's premier goon and the film culminates with the battle royale they have within a playoff elimination game.  Last headliner is Jay Baruchel.  I saw him in The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) with Nicolas Cage...had to watch that as the kids wanted to see it... I am such a good dad.   Baruchel in Apprentice is the timid, shy, whiz kid.  In Goon, way different; raunchy, rude, crass, and hilarious.  Awesome.

Acting is good, directing is great, script is just fantastic (as in one scene, Scott's girlfriend runs up to him crying and in trying to figure out what's wrong, he asks, "what's wrong, why are you crying, did you just see Rudy (1993)), and cinematography is dead on: well lit and nothing is missed or hard to see.  Lastly, what is the cherry on this syrupy sundae of love is the soundtrack....it is full on Canadian style power rock the like of Rush, Y & T, and Triumph!

See this!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment