Wednesday, December 21, 2011

In the Arms of my Enemy

In the Arms of My Enemy

BaLeak!  Man this was something.  I can't really decide if I liked it or not.  I guess the way to look at it is that there are a ton of movies out there so this is one you could pass on.  On the other hand, I did watch "Hall Pass," and this beat the crap out of that.  Two sets of brothers are surviving by their wits in mid 19th century Eastern Europe.  In each pair there is the dominant older brother who looks out for and protects his younger (somewhat challenged) brother.  One set joins the Cosacks and the other set makes a living from stealing and selling horses.  The paths cross and a set survives.

This was a gritty amazingly well acted, directed, scripted, and filmed work, but God!  It was nasty in places and awful in places and depressing at almost all times.  Ahhh, what to say, a great work of art but kind of like Edvard Munch's "The Scream."  Well done but disturbing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment