Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ondine

Ondine

I don't know how this landed in the queue but I suspect sabotage.  Chick flicks are not my bag...though I did like Mystery, Alaska 1999...for the HOCKEY!!!  Okay, the dialogue in that was okay too.  So, Ondine is a chick flick and my stash of red envelopes was a bit thin, so I watched it.  Not bad, although for each day it took to finish this film, I had to make sure I watched at least 45 minutes of The NFL Network and check the mirror to make sure I still had a hairy chest and legs.

In short, an Irish fisherman finds a beautiful girl in his net.  His daughter who is suffering from kidney failure and who needs a miracle believes the girl is a mermaid, or selkie.  Your standard "boy gets girl, boy loses girl, and boy gets girl back" storyline is here as is the other storyline of "the character who is at first perceived as an oddball by the rest of the cast ends up being the miracle/savior the rest need."  No problem.

The acting was good but the cinematography was dark.  I don't mean it was dark like moody, but it was dark.  I couldn't see a lot of what was going on when shots were done at night or in shadow.  The directing was fine and the script, well, even if it were bad, accents have a way of covering that.  All said, I would not place this at the top of my list, but if it is date night and (guys) you want to feign giving a rip about possibly possessing a feminine side, go ahead and watch it.  There are, however, a ton of other movies that might take cuts in front of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment