Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Social Network

The Social Network

I had to see the origins of what my wife got me into and what alienated (unbeknownst to me) some of my friends for bit.  Without my knowledge, she created a facebook account for me and when I didn't respond to my friends requests to be friends, the bashed me via my email account....thanks babe!  I have to keep her happy otherwise, who knows what she will put up there.  Evidently I did something wrong at some point because I guess, through comments from friends, that the Donald Duck picture was awesome.

I love money and that love allowed this to be a success story for me.  On the other hand, the portrayal of Zuckerberg and how he treated those around him in the creation of Facebook does not put him in so glamorous a light.  In any "non fiction" movie, you get only the director's opinion of the subject and be it good or bad, well, that's what you will more than likely incorporate into your opinion of the person or period covered.  You could walk away with "Zuckerberg is a dirtbag," or like me, walk away with "Zuckerberg is a freakin' billionaire!"   

The acting was really good.  Justin Timberlake is a rare quality in that as a crossover artist (music to film) he does really really well.  Jesse Eisenberg (Zombieland 2009) who is prime to take all the roles Michael Cera might be considered for was awesome as well.  The script was good as well and the directing did a great job of switching between the "present" litigation and jumping back to the past events that lead up to the creation of Facebook and the conflicts that brought it all into litigation.  Cinematography was all good and suited the moods and all of that. 

This is definitely a small screener and I can't really give a killer recommendation for or against.  The movie covers something that has happened and there is nothing that can be done about it.  I am no better for seeing it, but it was entertaining.  It is though, some serious fodder for the black dressed, beret wearing, coffee shop vampires who, in their quest for unearned instant street cred, will tell anyone who will listen how it really happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment